CHARM SCHOOL: How To Influence Others
Influence is a big topic these days. Why? Because of social media it makes it so easy to reach people on a larger scale which means it's also easy to influence on a larger scale too. Are we giving the right influence? What we say and do, does it matter? Whether we want to admit it or not, yes it does. We are responsible for our own actions but we also have to realize how are actions influence others. Influencing others even dictates how we get job promotions, referrals, and sell our products and services.
I once read "like a compass, our heart needs to be calibrated with sound values if it is to serve us well." I find this statement so true, our values influence our priorities in life and relationships with others. What are values? Your values are what you believe to be the most important in the way you live and work. Your values determine your priorities and how you measure the direction of your life. Your values, therefore, influence your behavior, priorities, and relationships.
So let's take the term "Influence" a little more seriously. Don't underestimate the power your influence can have.
"You will never influence the world by trying to be like it."
5 Ways to Influence Others
1. Establish authentic relationships with people that you encounter.
2. Beat to your own drum. It's okay to be inspired by someone but have your own identity don't try and follow others.
3. Do you remember the old saying "you only get one chance to make a good first impression." Try your best to make a good first impression.
4. Be social. Yes, even if you're an introvert. It's easy to socialize on social media but what happens when you see them in person? Try and step out of your comfort zone and introduce yourself to people you don't know. This may be out of your comfort zone but the more you do something the easier it gets.
5. Be the go to person. Find your talent, hone your skills. Gain a reputation as someone who should be heard.
Who is someone that has had a positive influence on you? Shot them out in the comments below!